Is University of Petroleum & Energy Studies approved by UGC?

University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES) is maintained and recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956.

The University Grants Commission (UGC), a statutory body of the Government of India established 1956 through an Act of Parliament, is the highest institution responsible for the coordination, determination and maintenance of standards of university education in India.

Is it compulsory to attend classes under distance education mode?

Each course provides counseling and hands-on training at the university campus in Dehradun. Students, in their own interest, are advised to attend these classes. However, attendance is not mandatory.

Is there convocation at the end of the course?

The university holds its convocation once in a year. The dates for the convocation are fixed. Usually, the convocation is held in the month of May every year. However, please note that due to space constraints only selected distance education students, based on their merit position in the examinations are invited for the convocation.

Study Centre

Where will the practical sessions be held?

These will be held again at the University campus in Dehradun only.

What are Internal Assessments?

They are assignments for Continuous Assessment and Feedback.

Describe the Project.

The project will be industry related.


What is the procedure to be followed in case of loss of examination documents like admit card, identity card, etc?

No student is permitted to appear in the examination without the admit card and identity card. Please note that in case of last minute loss of documents i.e. ID card or admit card, the incident should be reported to the University immediately. The student is required to file a FIR and forward an affidavit for the loss to the Controller of Examinations (COE). Further, he/she has to obtain written permission from the COE to appear in the examination. His/her result will not be published, if he/she appears without the permission of the COE and also, until the matter is regularized. Immediately after the examination, he/she shall obtain a new ID card by sending the format available on the website along with a copy of the above documents to the COE.

What is the procedure if a mistake is made while filling in the re-sitting application form?

A student should be careful while he/she fills the application form. The admit card is issued according to the application form filled by the student. If a student has made any mistake, he/she should immediately bring it to the notice of the COE. The University reserves the right to accept or reject such requests.

What are the consequences of making a mistake in the answer sheet (e.g. roll no. or subject code wrongly written)?

A student has to strictly adhere to the rules mentioned in the question paper. However, the student shall forward a written request for the mistake committed and the changes required. The results will not be published in all such cases. The University is empowered to accept the request or otherwise.

When are the supplementary examinations?

There are two supplementary examinations conducted in the months of March and September. The main examinations are held twice a year for students as under:

  • Examination for the winter session (January to July): Examination will be held in the first week of the month of July, i.e. 3-13.
  • Examination for the fall session (July to January): Examination will be held in the first week of the month of January, i.e. 3-13.
Who evaluates our university examinations papers?

University of Petroleum & Energy Studies evaluates the examination papers.

When will the results be declared?

Results will be declared within 6 weeks after the examination.

What are the consequences of skipping examinations?

The student is required to clear all the papers of the course within the prescribed time as mentioned in the prospectus/admission documents. The time available to a student to clear the course is twice the normal duration.

The number of chances a student gets to clear the subject?

The structure of UPES programs is versatile and provides ample opportunity to students to complete the course without loss of semesters due to backlog papers. Unlike other vertical programs, re-registration to the higher semester is not linked to clearance of the previous semesters. The structure also provides ample chance to the student to clear the backlog papers. A student gets two consecutive chances to clear a paper. The grouping of the subject permits a student to appear in the backlog papers in every alternative semester.

For instance, a backlog paper of 1st semester can be taken with the 2nd Semester and 4th Semester can be taken along with the 6th semester. Hence, he gets four chances to clear the subject. In case of Lateral Entry cases, three chances are available. In every backlog paper, a student gets a minimum of two consecutive chances. The scheme of the University doesn’t provide supplementary examination in view of above reasons.


What are the rules regarding change of course?

Change of course is normally not permitted.


What is the procedure for change of name by the student?

The student’s name is entered as per the Xth standard certificate provided by the student during admission. However, if the student wants to change his/her name then he/she has to forward the following documents to the University.

  • An application written/typed on plain paper
  • An affidavit in support of name change or any other support legal document authenticated by a first class magistrate.

The postal address for sending the application is given below:

Department for Students Relations & Enrollment
(On the address given below)

What is the procedure for obtaining a duplicate mark sheet?

Forward the request to the Centre for Continuing Education, UPES at:

The Coordinator of Examination
(On the address given below)

What is the procedure for obtaining a duplicate certificate?

Forward the request to the Centre for Continuing Education, UPES at:

The Coordinator of Examination
(On the address given below)

What is the procedure for obtaining a Degree Certificate?

Forward the request to the Centre for Continuing Education, UPES at:

The Coordinator of Examination
(On the address given below)

Address for communication:

Centre for Continuing Education
University of Petroleum & Energy Studies,
Bidholi Campus
Energy Acres,
Via Prem Nagar, Dehradun-248007

How long does it take to issue the certificate after submitting the application?

It will take a minimum 3 months to issue the degree certificate after the receipt of the application from the student. The application form has to be complete in all respects. Incomplete applications are liable to be rejected without assigning reasons.


When do the Admissions happen?

There are four admission sessions in a year that gives flexibility to students to take admission at his convenience. Students are advised to check at the website www.cce.upes.ac.in and other mode of communications from time to time for the admission sessions. Prospectus and applications can be obtained from the university office or from the website.

Note: Admission will be granted only to those candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria.

What are the documents to be enclosed as eligibility proof along with admission application form?

Filled in application form has to be complete. Applicant is advised to read the instructions carefully before filling up the application form. All the supporting documents (as specified in the prospectus/ application form) should be enclosed along with the application form and should be self attested.

Documents to be enclosed:

  • Course fee demand draft drawn in favor of "UPES" payable at Dehradun only will be considered.
  • Note: For course fee (semester-wise) details are provided in the university prospectus.
  • Xth & XIIth Standard Certificates for age proof or birth certificate.
  • Educational proof certificates starting from Xth standard have to be enclosed for verification of eligibility criteria.
  • When a degree or diploma ‘provisional pass certificate’ is enclosed, it is advisable to enclose the mark sheets of all the three/four years, as the case may be.
  • Those who have not obtained the provisional/degree certificate are advised to enclose all three/four years pass mark sheets along with the course completion certificate obtained from the principal/director of institution where last studied. Duly certified provisional certificate/degree certificate has to be forwarded within the stipulated period as laid down by the university.
  • Working experience certificate has to be obtained from the employer and enclosed. For more details on matters related to admission, contact the help desk at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
What are some of the reasons that may lead to rejection of an application?

Applications shall be rejected without assigning any reasons for the following reasons:

  • Incomplete application form.
  • Non-enclosure of proof of eligibility qualifications.
  • Non-enclosure of demand draft or in case it is an outstation demand draft or cheque.
  • Non-enclosure of employment proof
Can there be a refund of fees after admission or if a student withdraws from the course?

Fee once paid is not refundable under any circumstances.

Is there any provision to pursue more than one course at a time?

There is no provision for doing more than one course of UPES-CCE at the same time.

What is a Credit System?

The ‘Credit System’ is followed for all courses offered through distance education mode. The credit system is a systematic way of describing an educational program by allotting specific time to a particular subject. Each credit amounts to 30 hours of learning activities i.e., reading and comprehending the printed study material, attending counseling sessions, preparing assignments, etc.

What is Re-registration?

A student doing a course through distance education has to register himself/herself for each semester to become eligible to appear for the university examinations. The terms ‘fresh registration’ and ‘re-registration’ are explained below:

  • Fresh admission or registration – new candidates seeking admission are required to fill up fresh admission or registration form.
  • Re-registration – existing students who get promoted to higher semesters have to re-register at the beginning of a session and it is termed as re-registration. Re-registration to the higher semester is mandatory to become eligible to appear for the university examination for existing students.
Can a student register for two semesters simultaneously?

Re-registration to two semesters simultaneously is not permitted.

What is Re-sitting?

If a student fails to clear any of the paper(s) or all subjects of a semester, he/she has to re-appear for the relevant paper(s) or semester by applying and filling up the re-sitting form along with relevant examination fee. The form will be made available at least three months before the university examinations along with necessary instructions.

What is Re-admission?

As follows:

  • If a student can not complete his/her course within the maximum period stipulated, even though he/she had re-registered earlier for all semesters, he/ she is permitted to apply for re-admission using a maximum of 20 credits per session.
  • If a student has discontinued his course without registering for one or more semesters with/ without fee arrears (for earlier semesters), he/she is required to apply for semester-wise Re-admission for each session, starting from the earliest non-re-registered semester. Also, a student can apply for re-admission for course (s) worth 4 credits in which he/she has arrears from the previously re-registered semesters.
  • The form should be complete in all respects and submitted along with necessary support documents and requisite fee. Incomplete application forms will not be considered for processing.